Nusenda Credit Union, the largest credit union in New Mexico with more than 167,000 members, is one of 16 businesses and organizations presented with the “New Mexico Family Friendly Business” award at the state Legislature as part of its Family-Friendly Business Day.
Nusenda Credit Union earned the “gold tier” distinction for its workplace policies by Family Friendly New Mexico. It’s a statewide project developed to recognize companies that have adopted policies that give New Mexico businesses an edge in recruiting and retaining the best employees.
“We are honored to have been recognized with this award in connection to our focus on employee development – both personally and professionally. Our benefits and programs are structured to allow employees to fulfill their potential, while taking time to spend with family and focus on personal wellness,” said Michelle Dearholt, Nusenda’s Chief Performance Officer. “We believe that healthy and happy employees increase our service levels to our membership and community, which is our top priority.”
The Family Friendly New Mexico project has taken a positive approach to transforming workplace policies in the state by:
- Offering training and resources on how businesses can adopt more family-friendly policies.
- Giving awards and recognition to companies that offer their employees family-friendly benefits.
- Acting as a resource and clearinghouse of information for businesses and community leaders as they develop policies on issues, such as paid family leave and help with childcare.
“As we grow the state’s economy, we have the opportunity to be a national leader in offering New Mexicans workplaces that help companies attract and keep the best workers,” said Giovanna Rossi, head of Family Friendly New Mexico. “Implementing family-friendly policies can be a simple, concrete investment a company can make to ensure it can compete for highly qualified employees.
“Studies have shown that costs associated with creating family-friendly benefits are more than made up for in improved productivity, employee morale and employee retention,” she added.
Family-friendly policies include a wide range of options that companies can adopt, including providing access to health insurance; paid vacation; making reasonable accommodations for pregnant employees; flexible leave time for parents to attend to their kids’ medical or school needs; paid family leave; and ensuring workplaces have proper breastfeeding space and storage, among many other family-friendly benefits.
Nusenda Credit Union’s family-friendly policies and benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for the employee and family members at gold-level health reform standards; as well as “MD Live” telemedicine, which allows employees and family members to speak with local, board-certified doctors by video or phone 24/7.
- Flexible Spending Accounts and Health Savings Accounts. HSA’s come with employer-provided financial contributions.
- Free employee assistance counseling programs for employees and immediate family members.
- 100% employer-paid life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, and accidental death/disbursement insurance.
- Immediate PTO accruals from first day of hire, nine paid holidays yearly, and paid birthday leave; as well as critical illness, bereavement, jury/voting, and medical leave.
- Free employee wellness program designed to promote healthier employee lifestyles; achieved goals decrease monthly insurance premiums paid by employees; plus a free, on-site fitness center and discounted memberships at area gyms.
- Tuition reimbursement for full- and part-time employees.
- Free, on-site personal development seminars and training sessions, as well as career-path counseling.
- 401(k), employer-matched retirement plans; plus a 100% employer-paid pension plan.
- Family-friendly and fun holiday parties, group picnics and more.
The New Mexico Task Force on Work Life Balance launched the online business award called the New Mexico Family Friendly Business Award to recognize and celebrate New Mexico businesses that have family friendly policies in place, including paid leave, health support, work schedules and economic support. The statewide task force was created by the New Mexico State Legislature in 2010. Any New Mexico business is eligible to apply for the New Mexico Family-Friendly Business award. To learn more about the New Mexico Family Friendly initiative, and to see if your company or organization qualifies, please visit www.nmfamilyfriendlybusiness.com.