August 11, 2022
Nusenda Credit Union, along with financial institutions nationwide, are seeing an increase in fraudulent phone calls, texts, and other types of cyberattacks. It’s an unfortunate reality that financial scams are growing in numbers, participants, and creativity as time goes on.
We want to help you keep your personal and financial information safe.
Please remember: Nusenda Credit Union, and all other legitimate financial institutions, will NEVER contact our members requesting their financial information such as card or online banking credentials
The following tips can help increase your security:
- Verify EVERYTHING! If you receive a text, email, or call about your account, call your financial institution directly and verify if they actually need anything from you.
- Be cautious of links. If you don’t know who the text or email is from, don’t click on links or attachments.
- Don’t reply to texts or emails if you don’t recognize the sender. Replying simply confirms that your number or email address is a legitimate contact.
- Do not ever give one-time passcodes to anyone. If you give a fraudster your one-time passcode, they can log into your bank account with your stolen credentials.
- Keep your digital devices up-to-date with the latest software updates.
- Update your passwords regularly. Do not use the same password for multiple accounts or sites.
- Be cautious when sending money. Person to Person platforms (Apply Pay, Venmo, PayPal, etc.) were created to enable relatives and friends to exchange money easily; they should NOT be used in transactions with strangers.
- Monitor your account activity through Mobile and Internet Banking to ensure there are no fraudulent charges on your account.
- Criminals can learn a lot of information from your social media; be careful what you are posting online.
- Remember that if the offer or deal seems to go to be true, it probably is.
If at any point you are worried that your personal information has been compromised or if you are a victim of a financial scam, Nusenda Credit Union is here to help! Contact us immediately at 505-889-7755 (800-347-2838 outside the Albuquerque area) or visit any of our branch locations. You can also visit Nusenda’s security center at nusenda.org/fraud-awareness for additional tips and resources.