For the eighth year in a row, Nusenda Credit Union, the state’s largest locally based credit union with more than 210,000 members, was named by its employees as a “Top Workplace” in New Mexico in a survey conducted by the Albuquerque
Journal and Energage.
The credit union is one of only seven companies consistently ranked in the top 50 since the award began in 2012. This year, Nusenda ranked third in the large company category. Joe Christian, Nusenda’s president/CEO, was also presented the Leadership
Award for the large company category.
“We thank our employees for this recognition, and are thankful for their efforts to make sure we’re the best we can be for our members and our communities,” Christian said. “We will continue to strive to provide a workplace that supports them in their professional and personal journeys – whether it be career development, health and well-being, or educational ambitions.”
“Joe’s 30-plus years with Nusenda, and his deep commitment to our members, our employees, the local business community, and our community partner organizations are what make him truly worthy of this award,” said Nusenda
Board Chair Ann Brooks. “We thank him for his exemplary leadership and congratulate him for this recognition.”
Survey results collected by Energage are scored on a strict technique, showcasing employers that carefully craft a positive workplace culture and cultivate employee engagements. In all, 80 New Mexico organizations, which employ almost 15,029 workers,
agreed to participate in the survey.
Nusenda Credit Union employs more than 500 New Mexicans. Nusenda hired 215 new employees in 2019 and continues to expand its workforce in 2020.
Based on employee feedback requesting to be of greater service in the community, Nusenda Credit Union increased volunteer opportunities for its employees. In October 2019, seven local charities in Santa Fe, Albuquerque, and Socorro benefitted from 242
Nusenda volunteers during the credit union’s annual Community Day of service. Additionally, Nusenda’s Adopt-A-Cause program gave employees the chance to volunteer year-round with their branch or department to support local organizations
such as PB&J Family Services, The Food Depot (of Northern New Mexico), Locker #505 student clothing bank, and Crossroads for Women, among others. During the pandemic, Nusenda employees redoubled their commitment to members and the community by
quickly adapting to support members’ immediate needs, and by helping to deliver 300 meals a day to organizations providing critical community services.
Nusenda Credit Union’s award-winning, family-friendly policies and benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for the employee and family members at gold-level health reform standards; as well as “MD Live” telemedicine with local, board-certified doctors by video or phone 24/7.
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings accounts. HSA’s come with employer-provided financial contributions.
- Free employee assistance counseling for employees and immediate family members.
- 100% employer-paid life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, and accidental death/disbursement insurance.
- PTO accruals from first day of hire; nine annual paid holidays, your birthday off; as well as medical, critical illness, and bereavement leave.
- Free employee wellness program promoting healthier lifestyles that lead to decreased monthly insurance premiums paid by employees.
- A free, on-site fitness center and discounted memberships at area gyms.
- $5,000 per year tuition reimbursement for full- and part-time employees.
- Product education classes and workshops, including business communication courses, employee assemblies featuring nationally known speakers, and annual summer picnics/holiday parties.
- 401(k), employer-matched retirement plans and a 100% employer-paid pension plan.
- During the pandemic, Nusenda launched employee assistance programs to keep them whole, despite child care challenges, illness, or reduced scheduling.
For the last four years, Nusenda has also been named a gold-tier, “Family-Friendly” business by Family Friendly New Mexico, a statewide project developed to recognize companies that have adopted policies that give New Mexico businesses
an edge in recruiting and retaining the best employees.
Nusenda has also received the Albuquerque Journal Readers' Choice Award for the best credit union in Albuquerque for six years running.