You may have heard in the media about microchip credit and debit cards, commonly referred to as chip cards or EMV. Here’s what you need to know.
- You're able to use your current debit and credit cards, regardless of the card readers that merchants are using. And, all signature-based transactions made with your credit union debit or credit cards are protected by Visa’s Zero Liability policy, which protects you from fraudulent charges.
- The latest improvement in card safety is chip cards, or EMV. EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard, and Visa, the three companies that created this microchip authentication system for credit, debit, and ATM cards.
- Chip technology is the most secure method of payment available today. Cards with chip technology are extremely difficult to counterfeit or copy when used with a chip-enabled terminal or ATM. Retailers are continuing to install chip card-enabled terminals.
- Your chip card has a magnetic stripe just like your old card. You can conduct your phone and online transactions the same as you conduct them now. Chip cards can also be used globally.
- If you have any questions about your chip card, please contact us at 505-889-7755 (800-347-2838 outside the Albuquerque area.)
Protecting your credit and your financial identity is a top priority for your credit union. We use Falcon Fraud Manager™, an industry-leading fraud detection system, to protect your accounts. Plus, all signature-based transactions made with your credit union debit or credit cards are protected by Visa’s Zero Liability policy, which protects you from fraudulent charges.