Chip Card Technology & Information
By now you’ve received your new Nusenda Credit Union microchip credit and debit cards, commonly referred to as chip cards, or EMV. Here are a few details to help you understand why your credit union reissued your card(s).
- Chip technology is presently the most secure method of payment available - these cards are extremely difficult to counterfeit or copy when used with a chip-enabled terminal or ATM. More and more retailers are installing chip card-enabled terminals as the EMV switchover process continues.
- You can conduct phone and online transactions the same way you did in the past, still use your card to get cash, check your balance and more, while using your chip card.
- Some ATM machines have been reconfigured to hold your card in place while a transaction is processed. Don't try to remove your card until you have completed your transactions, and - most importantly - don't forget to remove your card from the ATM machine before walking or driving away.
- Your chip card has a magnetic stripe just like your old card. That means you can use it anywhere you use your current card, even if merchants do not yet have chip-enabled terminals. Please use caution when shopping with merchants who haven't yet implemented or enabled their chip card terminals. Anytime a card is swiped instead of inserted, it leaves the card exposed to merchant compromises and requires us to potentially re-issue your card.
- Signature-based transactions made with your credit union debit or credit cards are protected by Visa’s Zero Liability policy, which protects you from fraudulent charges. We also use Falcon Fraud Manager™, an industry-leading fraud detection system, to protect your accounts.
- Chip cards are accepted in most places worldwide. Please contact us at 505-889-7755 (800-347-2838 outside the Albuquerque area) before you travel, with the country/countries you are traveling to and the dates you will be traveling to help card service prevent interruption.
- You can still earn Community Rewards, while using your Visa debit chip card. Just remember that only signature-based transactions are valid towards your Community Rewards earnings. Click on the link above to learn more about signature-based versus PIN-verified transactions.
- Questions? We are here to help. Please contact us.
Forging a new path in banking.
Nusenda Credit Union. The Power of WE®.