Family Friendly New Mexico award status gives an edge in competition to attract high-quality applicants
For the fourth straight year, Nusenda Credit Union, the largest credit union in New Mexico with more than 220,000 members, has been recognized as a New Mexico Family Friendly Business Award™ by Family Friendly New Mexico for its workplace policies.
This year, Nusenda earned the “platinum level” distinction based on high scores for paid leave, health and economic support, work scheduling, pay equity, diversity and inclusion, and community investment strategies and policies.
“The benefits we were recognized for are a part of an award-winning package we have developed to ensure our employees are taken care of — personally and professionally,” said Nusenda Executive Vice President of Operations Michelle Dearholt. “Our benefits and programs are structured to allow employees to fulfill their potential, while taking time to spend with family and focus on personal wellness. We believe that healthy and happy employees increase our service levels to our membership and community, which is our top priority.”
Recent additions to Nusenda’s benefits package include two weeks of paid maternity/paternity leave after the birth or adoption of a child for employees who are classified as parents, plus six weeks partial paid leave for birth mothers.
In light of the coronavirus, Nusenda redoubled its efforts to support its more than 600 employees. Before state and federal statutes began outlining how employers needed to respond to the pandemic crises, Nusenda created and implemented emergency leave and pandemic paid time off, ensured employees were not negatively financially impacted despite any decrease in hours worked, offered 0% assistance loans, and flexible scheduling to support the 25% of employees who have school-age children. In addition, 50% of Nusenda’s workforce was quickly converted to remote-work capabilities. Frontline branch staff workers receive personal protective equipment and protective workplace modifications, and Nusenda’s
administrative headquarters’ cafeteria, the “Nusenda Café,” has been converted into a storefront where employees can purchase grab-and-go meals and grocery items to avoid additional exposure. Nusenda hosted a ‘drive-in’ movie night to express employee appreciation for their efforts during this time. To date, no employees have been furloughed.
The Family Friendly New Mexico initiative offers training, support, and resources to businesses on how to implement more family-friendly policies; provides recognition to companies that offer their employees family-friendly benefits; and acts as a resource and clearinghouse of information for businesses and community leaders as they develop policies on issues such as paid family leave and childcare assistance.
“As we grow the state’s economy, we have the opportunity to be a national leader in offering New Mexicans workplaces that help companies attract and keep the best workers,” said Giovanna Rossi, founder and director of Family Friendly New Mexico. “Implementing family-friendly policies can be a simple, concrete investment a company can make to ensure it can compete for highly qualified employees. Studies have shown that costs associated with creating family friendly benefits are more than made up for in improved productivity, employee morale and employee retention. We are happy to recognize Nusenda Credit Union as a leader in implementing family friendly policies.”
Nusenda Credit Union’s family-friendly policies and benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for the employee and family members at gold-level health reform standards; as well as “MD Live” telemedicine, which allows employees and family members to speak with local, board-certified doctors by video or phone 24/7.
- Flexible Spending Accounts and Health Savings Accounts. HSA’s come with employer-provided financial contributions.
- Free employee assistance counseling programs for employees and immediate family members.
- 100% employer-paid life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, and accidental death/disbursement insurance.
- Immediate PTO accruals from the first day of hire, nine paid holidays yearly, and paid birthday leave; as well as critical illness, bereavement, jury/voting, and medical leave.
- Free employee wellness program designed to promote healthier employee lifestyles (achieved goals decrease monthly insurance premiums paid by employees); plus a free, on-site fitness center and discounted memberships at area gyms.
- Tuition reimbursement for full- and part-time employees; computer and clothing assistance.
- Free, on-site personal development training classes and programs, as well as career-path counseling.
- Employee Development Events featuring renowned speakers on topics of personal and professional growth.
- 401(k), employer-matched retirement plans, plus a 100% employer-paid pension plan.
- Paid maternity and paternity leave.
- Family-friendly and fun holiday parties, group picnics, and more.
To learn more about Nusenda’s family-friendly benefits and employment opportunities, visit the Careers page.